Thursday, May 6, 2010

Belize

We were so un-Belize-ablely lazy this day. Lame pun, I know, but I just couldn't resist!! We'd scheduled an excursion to Altun Ha, a smaller grouping of Mayan ruins, but we decided to skip it.
At this port we couldn't walk right off the boat onto the dock, we had to take a 20 minute tender in which would have required us to be up and at the tender spot around 8:00 in the morning. Yes, that is too early for us...especially since we'd stayed up in the karaoke lounge until 2:00 the night before!

We slept in a bit and made our way into Belize City a little later in the morning. Apparently we were still pretty groggy because the lady that took our picture told us that we looked bored in the first one and demanded we smile for another picture. So this is us, cheesin' it up on the tender into Belize. We look excited to be there, right?



We did a bit of sightseeing near the port, then we headed straight for the shops. We got a lot of fun things there. We may or may not have picked up some slingshots for my nephews, which I am sure their parents will be thrilled about them receiving. ☺


All along the shops they had pillars that had the neatest carvings in them. Not many of the pictures I took of them came out too clearly though.



We'd stopped into a pharmacy and saw that they offer nearly every kind of perscription medication imaginable over the counter. Lipitor, Prozac, Lunesta, Viagra, Retin A, Amoxicillin...everything! No prescription needed! Crazy, right? I was a little tempted to pick up a few dozen things, but then I wasn't too trusting in the quality/safety of the pills. Come on, I have more smarts than that!
After we'd shopped and saw the sights for what seemed like days hours upon hours we were pooped and ready to head back to the ship. Looking back, we both wish we would have sucked it up, risen at the crack of dawn and gone to Altun Ha, but Rob just says that now we have a reason to head back to Belize. Really, I wouldn't mind that!

2 comments:

Sodermoto said...

That looks like fun. Really glad you didn't pick up any drugs there... that seems really sketchy. :)

annie said...

When I went to Taiwan the pharmacies were the same. I threw caution to the wind and bought some RX. 90 pills to be exact. I was not sorry I did it. :)